Friday 18 May 2012

Belgium - 2012

Iris - Would You



Before I get started, I want to make you all know that I am fully aware this isn't that much of a popular song, and that yes, it's not the best. But I really enjoy it! I think this song is really nice, and really enjoy listening to. I know pretty much all of the words. Someone correctly pointed out that lyrcially, there is an issue. She is 17, singing about things that usually, 17 years old don't really know about. For example, "What would you do if my house was empty?" How many 17 year olds exactly own a house? It's a deep love song, and yes, it's another ballad. That is another huge problem. The fact is, Iris doesn't have the same depth in her ballad as say Pastora Soler or Sabina Babayeva. However, if her voice was more experienced and she was naturally older, this would be a much better song and would seem much more fitting. Wrong song at the wrong time I'm afraid. But despite all of that, I do really enjoy listening to this, and it is well written.

After watching some live clips of Iris, I don't think she will set the world alive, and performing half way through the first semi final probably means she will have a tough battle in front of her. Apart from that AMAZING song by Tom Dice in 2010, and that one that got beat by a single point in 2003, Belgium have failed to set the world on fire in Eurovision in the 00's. So I can't see this qualifying. But Good Luck to Iris. I'm hoping she can really pull it out the bag!

Song Rating: 7/10
Liklihood to win: 2/10

Current odds: 150-1                   (oddschecker.com) (on average)

No comments:

Post a Comment