Wednesday 9 May 2012

Greece - 2012

Despite all the countries' current problems they still have time to select an absolute smash in Eleftheria Eleftherious' "Aphrodisiac".


Wow! I think I am in love with Eleftheria just a little bit. She is awesome in so many ways! I mean, her name for a start. Eleftheria Eleftheriou. Awesome!? She will sing the song Aphrodisiac in Greece which is a real classic Euro-dance song which is just perfect for Eurovision. Aphrodisiac is an upbeat, pop anthem, but you can still hear that Greek element in it which makes this song even better! As you can tell, I really like this song. I could whittle on about lyrics and stuff, but the name of the song kind of tells you all you really need to know. Oioi!
So how about Greece in Eurovision then? Well unlike many other countries over the Eastern side, Greece have been performing since the mid-70s. In my personal opinion, they could have done so much better if they didn't have to stick to the rule of singing in the nation's national language. I can imagine composing in Greek isn't the easiest thing to do if you want to make a catchy Eurosong which would of have to had popularity in a lot of Western countries with a completely different culture. Maybe that is why Greece hasn't been out of the top 10 since 2003? Maybe that's why they eventually got a well deserved win in 2005 with an absolutely incredible song "My Number One".
However, is Eleftheria 7 years too late though? Aphrodisiac definitely feels vaguely similar to (I Would) Die For You which was Greece's representation in 2001, as well as My Number One from 2005, and Secret Combination by Kalomira in 2008. All brilliant songs, but I'm sure you can all see where I am coming from.
But then again Greece haven't entered a female since 2008, and so maybe it is time to remind everyone just how stunning their woman are! Any UK readers should definitley google image her, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees similarities between her and Cheryl Cole. Eleftheria has the look, has the song, has the experience, and definitely has the popularity in that area of Europe. HOWEVER, you really need to check out the draw for Greece.
They will perform in the first semi final. The absence of Loreen should do some favours, but Greece will perform 3rd, straight after the highly popular Icelandic Never Forget. They are later followed by Zaleilah and La La Love. Whether the draw will turn out to be detrimental is worth thinking about before putting any bets on. I think Aphrodisiac will qualify fine, but as they say "don't count your chickens before they hatch". If the song does qualify, which I am sure it will, then it will show how much Eleftheria stands out, meaning we know she isn't going to ruin Greece's perfect run of top 10 finishes.
Are we going to Athens in 2013? Well...I don't know how the Greek treasury feels about this, but we might. Will they be able to afford it? Maybe not, but especially if Eleftheria performs near the end, then Greece stand a really strong chance of winning this. Good Luck! And just because I love saying and writing it....ELEFTHERIA ELEFTHERIOU. Awesome!!

Song Rating: 9/10
Liklihood to win: 8/10

Current odds: 25-1                         (oddschecker.com) (on average)

No comments:

Post a Comment