Friday 11 May 2012

Turkey - 2012

Introducing Can Bonomo and "Love Me Back"



Can Bonomo is still fairly young, and steadily gaining support. And I'm not just talking about the Turks either! He has completely written Love Me Back and is hoping to reverse that surprising result last year when the Turks didn't qualify for the final! I really don't think Can should have any problems. Love Me Back has got a sailor theme to it, which is good seeing as the lyrics are all about ships, and well, the music video is above. By sailor theme, I mean the music is very traditional, and when I first heard it, I did think of ships (I also thought of pirates, but we can forget about that yeah?). It's a much better song than last years and has a good draw...13th in the second semi final...and so I think we can see Turkey in the final this year.
But is this song a winning Eurovision song? Songs with traditional music to that country will either go one way or the other...the audience will not connect to it and not appreciate the cultural relevance, so will not be popular. Or the audience will be impressed with the musical talent and that fact that the artist has stayed within their own traditions and culture. I think it does all depend on whether a song is just good or bad, but songs with traditional music are a tricky one, I'm sure any ESC fanatics will agree. For example, an entry by the Irish in recent years (I can't for the life of me remember the year or the song) was traditional but ended up finishing the bottom of the heap...whereas that Norway song in 2009 which stormed the scoreboard to an emphatic win + ESC record.
Even with a good draw, I don't think it will be the Turk's year this year. Yes it is a good song, but there are quite a few better songs, even if it will stand out. With qualification to the final, and not appearing in the first 10 songs in that final, then I can see Turkey returning to their recent ways with a top 10 finish on the score board. Can can do it? We'll have to wait and see. Personally, I think this song is brilliant, so do excuse the song rating bias below!

Song Rating: 8/10
Liklihood to win: 6/10

Current odds: 33-1                           (oddschecker.com) (on average)

No comments:

Post a Comment