Tuesday 19 April 2016

21 days to go... ranking the UK entries from 2000-09

Before the year 2000, the UK had finished outside the Eurovision top 10 on just 3 occasions: 1978, 1987, and 1999. I think you can forgive us lamenting so much during the 00s. We really crashed and burned out of the ESC elite.

Without any further ado...

10th - 2001 - Lindsay "No Dream Impossible" (15th/28 points)






9th - 2000 - Nicki French "Don't Play That Song Again" (16th/28 points)





8th - 2003 - Jemini "Cry Baby" (26th/NIL POINTE BABY)





7th - 2005 - Javine "Touch My Fire" (22nd/18 points)





6th - 2002 - Jessica Garlick "Come Back" (3rd/111 points)





5th - 2004 - James Fox "Hold On To Our Love" (16th/29 points)





4th - 2006 - Daz Sampson "Teenage Life" (19th/25 points)





3rd - 2008 - Andy Abraham "Even If" (25th/14 points)


(I'm sorry if you think this is bias, but there is absolutely no way this deserved to finish last!)




2nd - 2009 - Jade Ewen "It's My Time" (5th/173 points)






NOW THE IRONIC THING ABOUT MY WINNER... IT JUST KIND OF REPRESENTS THE UK IN EUROVISION BETWEEN 2000-09. THINK WHAT YOU WILL, BUT ME AND MY FRIENDS ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS SONG WHEN WE WERE 14.

1st - 2007 - Scooch "Flying The Flag" (22nd/19 points)





I highly doubt you'll agree with my choice, simply because of who I chose for number one. But as I said above, it is a good representative of what the UK offered in the 00s decade. And plus, I did fall in love with this at the age of 14, and I was so heartbroken it didn't do better. As a 14 year old, I didn't understand why other countries were sending rubbish songs and doing better, and I certainly didn't understand why "lesbian Harry Potter" could possibly win with that weird ballad in a weird language. And that's why Terry Wogan had to leave Eurovision my friends...he could influence a child so strongly with his highly respected commentary. It meant he could influence a nation. UK humour is about mocking others, we do it all the time so it's only natural for the UK to mock other Eurovision entrants. But GN does it so much more naturally than Wogan and even though Joe & Jake have entered the most VANILLA song ever, it's a step in the right direction (*I hope*). We all know it's a political song about friendship, but we have the power to become ESC greats again. Watch this space...

and PS MOLITVA IS AMAZING, NEVER MOCK IT OR SHAME ON YOU FOREVER

No comments:

Post a Comment