Sunday 30 April 2017

Eurovision 2017 Song Review: HUNGARY

So first rehearsals kicked off today and Twitter was just about exploding with the biggest load of drama queens. I have decided not to watch any rehearsals this year, in order to keep giving fair song reviews and to saviour how special it is watching the performances for the first time. I couldn't help but watch a 15-sec snippet of Slavko though, and I just can't wait for his semi-final performance! The song might be a joke and the talent might be somewhat missing, but this only exacerbates my anticipation for what will be slavtacular.

Anyway, ORIGO! I'm keeping this short because I've got a big essay due tomorrow. When I first listened to it, I fell in love, was already going to put it in my top 3 and couldn't fathom those who didn't see it as a favourite. It's original, ethno, not sung in English... this list could go on! BUT then WHY, OH WHY the rapping!?!???!?!?!? I like rap as a genre, I like rap as a bridge... admittedly, I rarely like rap on the Eurovision stage... but this does not suit the song at all, and the rap isn't actually that good I don't think. It's not got the edge that Jala had last year for example, or even the fluency of Euro Neuro. If you're going to rap, do something like Love City Groove for the UK in 1995 (never understood the distaste for this!). Rap at Eurovision is rarely successful, and I can't see that changing for Origo - but then again Hungary have qualified every year since they had a break, including 2 impressive top-10 finishes. That's why I'm probably an idiot for predicting they wont qualify this year, but I think Origo is potentially the hardest to judge...

RATING:

My initial score; 6 (out of 12)

My current score: 5

My semi-final prediction: 12th
(will score higher in the TELEVOTE - one of the hardest to call though; could lap up easy jury points, but then Hungary always do alright with the televote...)

My prediction for the final if qualifying: 21st-26th
Hungary have a habit for knocking around the 20th position, and I think whether they break out the top 5 would come down to the draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment